My family will be traveling to the US this spring break. So many people are questioning why we’re going (our Canadian dollar isn’t worth much over there…) but I still think it’s worth going.
I don’t want our low dollar to keep us away from the beautiful beaches of California and Hawaii.
In preparation for our upcoming holiday I decided to ask my friends what they always pack in their bags when traveling. Basically, I don’t want to forget something. I don’t want to buy Tylenol or Band Aids when I get to the US and have to pay in US dollars…
Here are some great (and some surprising things) my friends and I came up with:
1) Snacks: I leave with granola bars, soup mixes and tons of snacks. A friend mentioned she packs many Gluten-Free snacks for her child since those can be difficult to find sometimes.
2) Sunscreen and Aloe Vera: I’ve seen sunscreen for up to $25 in Mexico! I don’t want to pay that so I stock my luggage with sunscreen.
3) Bandages: These go in the carry on AND the checked bag. Another item I don’t want to buy when I’m away.
4) Medicine: Tylenol (kids and adult), Gravol, Ibuprofen etc…) I basically leave with a small pharmacy in my bag. TIP: Bring your prescription drugs with you in your carry-on bag!
5) Zippered baggies: Just pack these. You’ll need them for tons of stuff.
6) Reusable shopping bags: Some cities don’t give free plastic bags when shopping. Reusable bags are also great to carry things to the beach or during outings.
7) Mini First Aid Kit: Better safe than sorry! Plus mini first aid kits have things you might not have thought of!
8) Ear phones: Do you want to pay to buy these on the plane? Nope, you don’t.
9) Baby Wipes: even if you don’t have a baby! These are great for cleaning up a quick mess, wiping a dirty face and more.
10) Snorkel and Mask and/or goggles: This is a must have if you’re going to a tropical place.
11) Tweezers: These are an important tool to bring for so many reasons!
12) Flip flops: Whether you’re going to a hot destination or not, flip flops are a must when going to the pool or hot tub. They are also good to have in the hotel room, who wants to walk bare feet in the room?
13) An extra reusable bag: Great thing to bring if you’re planning to shop! Squish it down in your bag when you’re on your way to your destination and use it on the return trip!
14) Bottle opener: Yes! Some hotels don’t provide bottle openers. I personally don’t want to buy a souvenir bottle opener.
15) Flashlight: Some hotel rooms have them but better safe than sorry!
16) Night Light: This is a must, especially if traveling with kids. Bring a night light for the bathroom instead of using the bright bathroom light.
17) Clothes pins: Can be used for SO MUCH including closing the blinds in the room if they don’t close tight.
18) Puddle Jumpers/floaties for kids: If you’ve got a pool at a hotel bring these. They offer a bit of peace of mind and are expensive to purchase when you get to a vacation spot.
19) A good book: Self explanatory.
Looking for more packing tips? Check out these posts:
I’d love to know, do you have anything to add to this list?