My family adores checking out gorgeous beaches when we travel. During our last trip to Maui, we spent an amazing day at Makena Beach (aka Big Beach) in South Maui.
How to get there
Makena Beach is very easy to get to. Follow road signs to Wailea. You’ll see Makena Beach State Park on the right-hand side after passing the town of Wailea and several golf courses.
7 Things to know about Makena Beach
- 1 > Makena Beach has a parking lot but it can get quite full
- 2 > There are no flushable toilets but several clean outhouses
- 3 > Lifeguards are on duty
- 4 > Huge sandy beach with very little shade (beach umbrellas are recommended but must be securely installed).
- 5 > Huge waves, not recommended for young children or inexperienced swimmers
- 6 > Makena Beach has an accessible trail to Little Beach
- 7 > Jaws Fish and Tacos Food truck on location
Makena Beach is absolutely a top beach that should be checked out when on Maui. We loved our day at Makena.
The views of Molokini from Makena Beach are great and the hike up to Little Beach is fun to do. We plan on going back to Makena Beach every time we visit Maui.