My family celebrates Chinese New Year every year. My husband is Chinese and this is a HUGE holiday for his side of the family.
My kids love celebrating with their cousins. They especially love it when it’s their zodiac year.
Here are some fun facts about Chinese New Year to share with your kids:
- There are 12 zodiac animals: Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, Pig
- Chinese New Year follows the Lunar Calendar so the date changes every year.
- Chinese New Year dinner is the most important part of Chinese New Year. This is when entire families get together to celebrate and share a large meal together.
- Elders give children red envelopes during Chinese New Year. Money is stuffed in the red envelopes and is believed to give good luck to those who receive them. This tradition is often referred to as “lucky money”.
- Cleaning is done before Chinese New Year to get ready for a new year.
Every year I decorate my classroom and my children decorate at home. We usually do an easy Chinese New Year banner with the zodiac sign of that year.
Check out my step by step instructions on how to make a Chinese New Year banner.
I’d love to know, do you celebrate Chinese New Year? What traditions do you do with your family?