On February 10 my family went to see the Harlem Globetrotters at our local arena.
My family, which includes a 7 year old girl and 4 year old boy, was so excited to see the Harlem Globetrotters in action. None of us had ever seen this type of show and we didn’t quite know what to expect.
The show was a huge hit with all of us. It was action packed, had great upbeat music and included good comedy and a lot of audience participations.
Here are the top 5 things we loved about the show:
1. The bright stage, announcers and uniforms. Even if you don’t follow basketball you won’t have a problem knowing what’s going on. The announcers and players are very animated. The game and storyline is easy to follow. The story line and match is based on The Globetrotters v.s. the long time rival, The Washington Generals. Good team v.s. bad team.
2. The interaction with the audience. Audience participation kept us engaged and had everyone on the edge of their seats. We laughed so hard when the Harlem Globetrotters played jokes with the audience and their rival team. One lady had her purse taken, one child was a water shield and many kids were brought down to dance to YMCA.
3. The music. Hip-hop and top 40 songs play a huge part in the entertainment. This got our family dancing in our seats. We loved the tunes and the atmosphere it created.
4. The replay. This was our FAVOURITE part of the show. At one point The Harlem Globetrotters replayed a scene trying to review a point they found unfair. As part of this replay all players on the court literally re-enacted a replay in reverse and then again in slow motion. It was hilarious. Everyone in the audience was laughing so hard. My favourite part was when they stopped two audience members (walking back to their seats) and made THEM walk back to their seats in slow motion. It was priceless.
5. The autograph session. This was a highlight for my kids. After the show, The Harlem Globetrotters were positioned throughout the court to sign basketballs, tickets and more. We purchased an official Harlem Globetrotters basketball for $30 at the end of the show and went to get it signed by all the players. The fact that the Harlem Globetrotters interacted with hundreds of fans was very impressive. All the players were so kind and were happy to take pictures with my kids and I.
The Harlem Globetrotters are talented athletes. They are classically trained entertainers that can perform amazing tricks and simple comedy . I can’t think of a better way to spend a night out as a family.
The Harlem Globetrotters are currently on tour across Canada. To see the full list of cities they will be stopping in check out their tour dates now.
I highly recommend this show. My kids are still talking about it. I guarantee it will entertain your entire family.